Monday, March 21, 2016

Hypodermic Model

In researching what the hypodermic model is, I found this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a-toj0weAEM, which used advertisements as an example of how the hypodermic model can work. It made me think of how cereal advertisements have changed. In the past sugary cereals (like Lucky Charms) had commercials aimed right at children and they were shown during children's programming. Here's an example from the 90's:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=foghWSflbIA. Now, people are more concerned about children's health and commercials like these are seen as irresponsible. Now, more Lucky Charms commercials are aimed at adults. To watch one example, click here. This is because many people firmly believe that if children see a commercial for a sugary cereal, they will have no choice but to beg for the cereal until their parents buy it for them. Here's an article about that: http://domain.me/kids-and-advertising.

I'm torn about how I feel about marketing sugary cereals to kids. We know that the hypodermic model has been proven incorrect, but we also know that advertising does have an affect on people, especially impressionable children. As a parent, I monitor how much screen time my boys have and I have taught them to fast-forward through commercials whenever possible.

What do you think about the relationship between advertisements and the hypodermic model?

1 comment:

  1. Whoa, I saw a Lucky Charms commercial targeting toward adults the other day and thought at the same time "That's weird, isn't that a kids cereal?" and "I should buy some Lucky Charms. I haven't had those in forever!"

    We grew up with Lucky Charms, so I feel like they can market successfully to parents these days. Maybe they don't even need to market to kids because parents have such fond memories of eating that cereal. That would be evidence of the cultivation theory, where the effects of exposure to a media message are long-term. In this case, whoever owns Lucky Charms is reaping the benefits of their 20-year-old ads on people who are now in their 20s and 30s!

    ReplyDelete