One of the genres of novels I talked about last week was
Christian Romance Novels. These books unabashedly push an ideology. They are
written by Christians, about Christians, for Christians. I’m a Christian, and
sometimes I like to read these. For a while, this was my favorite genre. I like
reading about people who share my faith, and I like a happy-ever-after story.
However as I matured, I realized many of these books promote
ideas I don’t agree with and find to be troubling. For example, many have a perfect ending. This blogger discusses that problem in Karen Kingsbury
books (she’s one of the most popular authors of the genre). It is nice to read
a story where everything works out for the protagonist, but if these authors
are truly trying to present how someone can live out a faith in Christ, they
are doing their readers a disservice by neatly tying up all the endings. Just
because you are a Christian doesn’t mean everything will work out for you, and
I’m concerned that these books could make immature Christians feel as though if
only they were better Christians, things would work out for them like they do
for characters in the novels they read.
Another problem I have with books in this genre is the idea that
every woman needs a man to protect her and be her happy ever after. This isn’t
unique to Christian Romance novels, of course, but it is heavily portrayed in
many of these books. The book known for beginning the genre is Love Comes Softly by Jeanette Oke. In this book set in the 1800’s, the protagonist’s husband
dies on their trip out West and she must marry a stranger in order to survive. The
book details how their marriage of convenience becomes a marriage of love. This
is a sweet story, but it’s been repeated ad nauseam by other authors who only
change the details. I would love to read more novels with strong Christian female
protagonists. Anybody know of one I haven’t read? Let me know!
I still occasionally read a Christian Romance novel, but now I like to read novels from lots of different
perspectives. Novels are one of the few ways we have to climb into someone else’s
thoughts and see the world the way they do. I try to choose books from a wide
variety of ideologies. Some I agree with, some I disagree with, but I always
learn something from seeing the world from someone else’s eyes.
Do you gravitate towards media that promotes ideologies you
agree with?
I've never read any type of Christian Fiction, but I had a friend once who was really into Christian Romance novels as well. I remember one time we were all sitting together talking about religion and she said something like "It's okay because I know that God will give me what I want." And one of our other friends, who is also a Christian, corrected her and said "No, God will give you what you NEED." I think that's a perfect example of what you're saying, maybe reading all of those Christian Romance novels kind of warped her idea of what her future would be like.
ReplyDeleteYou make some thoughtful points about the "inspirational" or Christian novel genre. Christianity is sometimes viewed as this cookie cutter "do this" and you will have a GREAT life. But as you grow up you realize that humans and human life is much more complicated than that. I have only read one book called "Redeeming Love" that reflects a 1850s version of the story of Hosea and Gomer, and the Gomer character is transformed and develops into a strong independent female character. (its an amazing read, I still re-read it sometimes) But there are other Christian authors who really write well written, humanly rounded books, that really portray human selfishness, morality, and flaws and how we can overcome those to become better people. those authors are Ted Dekker and Frank Peretti. Peretti's most famous book (a long but good read) is "The Oath" Hope you enjoy them.
ReplyDeleteI love Redeeming Love. I've read it more than once too :). I will have to look up Ted Dekker, I've never read anything by him. It's been a long time since I've read anything by Frank Peretti... I'll have to read something by him again too. Thanks!
DeleteI have never read any type of Christin fiction either, but from the options you guys have mentioned, I will be looking forward to reading one or all of these books. I agree with you when some Christians have an set if rules in order for you to have a great life, but even Christians and Christians books could be misleading and lead you in the wrong direction, I belief your own personal growth and journey with god will help you know your true self and how to live.
ReplyDelete